Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Shark Attacks, Resulting Human Deaths on the Rise * Blog 6



By Jennifer Viegas Mon Mar 1, 2010 01:32 PM ET

This is an article that hits close to home. How close? Well about 45 minutes.

According to Viegas, deaths that resulted from shark attacks in 2009 increased by one from 2008. 61 deaths occurred last year around the world off the coasts of several countries including the United States (28), South Africa (6), Egypt (2), Ecuador (1), Indonesia (1), Mozambique (1), New Caledonia (1), and Vietnam (1).

Even though the world number has slightly increased, the U.S.’s death rate has decreased severely in the last two years.

In 2008 the magic number was 41.

The article mentions that the decrease parallels the recent recession during the past decade. It seems as though not as people are visiting the beaches for vacations and such.

Out of the 28 in 2009, 19 deaths occurred off the coast of the Sunshine State. This in fact, is where this particular article affects or doesn’t affect me depending on the day.

“Volusia County in Florida retains its dubious distinction as being ‘the world's shark bite capital.’ That's due, in part, to waves off New Smyrna Beach on the central Atlantic coast that can attract both surfers and sharks.”

I live about 45 minutes from New Smyrna Beach and the fact that it is somewhat known as the “world’s shark bite capital” is something I have heard a few times before. This fact, though, does not deter me from going to the beach let alone deep into the water.

On a hot summer day, the dark water calls to me as I lie on the beach sweating. New Smyrna Beach definitely does not have the prettiest water compared to the panhandle or Florida Keys. The water is very sandy and once I go in passed my knees; there is no seeing what lies below the surface. I feel like it becomes a game to see how far my friends and I can swim.

Yes the statistics show that Volusia County beaches have the most shark attacks, but the percentage of everyday attacks is low. And, if I’m supposed to be eaten, well then there is nothing I can do about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment